Wednesday, August 2, 2017

About mock interviews - facts and tips

August 2, 2017

Motivation talk 


My favorite success rule is "Secret to the advancement is to do your present job well". I like to use this rule to explain why I practice a lot of mock interviews on a free platform starting from this March. It is one of Mitt Romney's top 10 rules for success, a Harvard graduate, Mitt Romney, rule No. 9.

 I tried to advance my skill level and enjoy my adventures outside my current job. The current job is the first place I apply if I add some new weapon to my arsenal. I have started to write a coding blog since 2015, and since November 2016 I got involved a small community called codereview.stackexchange.com, and finally this March 2017 I started to practice mock interview on pramp.com again. I did practice mock interview 9 times in 2016 from March to April, and I practiced a lot of times this year.

One of complaints I got at work is that I do not talk to people about my work in 2015. Usually the common sense is that you are good at until you talk about a lot. Since then, I work hard on the feedbacks.

It is not easy to be creative and stay grounded. I started to borrow the ideas from my tennis sports hobby, learned from WTA professional players, philosophy about mental toughness. My favorite ideas can be summarized in the following 3 quotes, "train insane or remain the same", "I tasted the success and hunger for more", "If you are behind, focus on one point at a time. Don't focus on the score. Don't focus on anything else. Just focus on that one sole point.".

I learn to write efficiently, and document the growth of good thinking in algorithm. I write a coding blog every day and look into some ideas from professional tennis player WTA player training and coaching. My most favorite idea is to journal the practice, write down my feeling and know the importance to write down and be part of practice. One of examples is a twitter I published to share my hats. More details, I asked over 30 questions through codereview website and so excited to get reviews from people all over the world, through profile statistics: near 11k people reached, I was excited to have 9 hats in 2016 holiday bash and my favorite hat is called trendsetter. That holiday season was so special because of those 9 hats.

Here are 9 tips I plan to use to prepare for mock interview on pramp.com. I like to share them and get some feedback from you as well. I already completed the first round of algorithms but I am still practising the mock interviews.

1. Review the book "The art of readable code" for 10 minutes, learn to practice a new art in your next mock interview.
2. Review three hours course on pluralsight.com called "Clean code: Write code for humans". Memorize some keywords on the clean code handout, google one of keys a time. Julia's favorite is The Outline Rule. The course summary is here.
3. Always remember that train insane or remain the same. Work on a hard level algorithm and taste the success of learning a hard level algorithm one a time.
4. Hold on high standard. Learn one hard level algorithm a day. Some of mock interview algorithms are hard level, I did not solve the algorithm and failed a few times.
5. Review some tips about real interview advice on bloomberg. I have the favorite one from Amazon on bloomberg site called "Do not be vague".
6. Try to be a good scholar, I do some small research very short time. People are smart and learn quickly on pramp.com, also it is a good practice to try to share a book or an article or extend the algorithm to a hard level, also focus on how to relate to improve performance of problem solving.
7. Spend a few minutes to review 10 tips to help you perform to highest potential.

Share my favorite quote from Microsoft manager Aviad Ezra.


"Practice: Nothing beats mock interviews. It will boost your confidence and you’ll learn a ton from having someone watching you and listening to your explanations while you solve coding problems. You can pair with a friend or use one of the free peer-to-peer mock interviewing platforms. You don’t need to sacrifice your first interviews just to get hands-on practice."

I like to end the blog using one of my real experience. I almost thought about quit in the first few mock inteview this March. One of peers gave me the review and I could not handle the frustration, one is to handle my technical weekness and another one is about understanding the mock learning experience. Surprisingly, I got an email from the founder of pramp.com and asked me why I chose not to recommend the pramp.com to friends. Through the communication, and I recalled in 2016 the founder spent half hour to interview me and gave me 3 great advice, I really felt at home when I use mock interview on pramp.com.


Mock interview practice on pramp.com is like my favorite tennis sports - I don't feel fear when I am on court. That's where I feel at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment