Saturday, August 19, 2017

Time Series Queries - Goldman Sachs CodeSprint

August 19, 2017

Plan to work on the hard level algorithm called "Time Series Queries". The problem statement is here.

Try to use binary search tree related data structure in C#, SortedSet.

10:07 pm
Review "Shorted Job First" using SortedSet. The blog link and last practice is here.

10:32 pm
Review Hackerrank - woman codesprint minimum cost. The code review link is here.

11:15 pm
Warm up the algorithm using SortedSet with a test case. The warmup code is here.

Stop here at 11:41 pm, and get up 6:00 am, work another 3 hours for the algorithm. Morning time is better for the hard work.

Data structure design, what is needed to expedite the search? First is to find the time, using binary search is better than linear scan. And need to find the first one with value bigger than the given value.

Need to pre-process the data and then the data are stored to fit for the queries.


6:00 am
Wake up. Thought about the algorithm but my idea to find kth larger one has timeout issue. Could not find the correct data structure to handle, went through heap, linked list, space concern etc. Continue to sleep. Set timer for 30 minutes

6:30 am

7:00 am

8:00 am
Only one hour left, I had hard time to get up. So good sleep. I could not come out the pre-processing idea.

9:01 am
The contest ended at 9:00 am. Check editorial note, haha, so easy. My sleep therapy with a problem solving did not work, I did not choose to stay late in the morning for my health concern.

I tried to change the style to define a good fight for this hard algorithm. At first, I choose the good night sleep, wait for the inspiration through the sleep and thinking.

Get up around 9:10 am, talked to the friend about next weekend Vancouver island road trip. I delayed the discussion in Saturday night 9:30 pm, told the friend my contest ended in the morning 9:00 am.


Argument:


I have to train my brain with hard level algorithm. I am getting lazy with brain storming. Work hard!


Actionable Items:


Need to work on better logistics for codesprint. Friday night I should have started the codesprint, but I spent over 2 hours to book a hotel, and then I spent time to study booking.com, expedia.com, Airbnb.com websites.

Saturday morning 10:00 am - 12:00 pm I visited a burnaby church, and were very interested in the structure of the service.


No comments:

Post a Comment